Throughout my children’s upbringing, I emphasized the importance of three core values: Kindness, Embracing Challenge, and Leading… rather than following. These principles not only guided my parenting but also served as the foundation of my business philosophy. From the outset, based on these fundamental ideals, I strived to build and foster an inclusive organizational culture with a workforce of self-directed individuals who are highly motivated to maximize their full potential. This across-the-board commitment to a high standard of excellence continues to lay the foundation for superior quality workmanship and exceptional customer service.
In the beginning, as a custom computer shop crammed in my spare bedroom, I repeatedly encountered skepticism that my commitment to these principles was unfounded – that success could not be attained through such unconventional means. Despite the naysayers, I held true to my principles, and over the course of more than two decades, the unwavering dedication of my team and I empowered us to lead a transformative disruption of the IT industry.
My name is Richard Wilbur, and I am the Founder, President, and CEO of Advantage Technology. Hailing from Charleston, West Virginia, we are a full-service IT company – from small businesses to enterprise data centers – that specializes in harnessing the latest technology to design unique IT solutions while enhancing security at every level. We are the reason you sleep well at night – Knowing that your IT system is not only functioning properly but is protected with the latest security technology.
I began as a determined perfectionist, immersing myself in the role of a Systems Engineer responsible for setting up and maintaining servers during Y2K. This passion quickly led to the creation of Advantage Technology – a bespoke computer boutique at the time. I quickly learned that the key to Advantage’s success and longevity lay in the talent I assembled. In turn, I continue to focus on recruiting the most seasoned and skilled engineers and administrative support with the ultimate goal of providing them with a decentralized culture to flourish. This driving principle reflects our company-wide motto that Our Advantage is Our People. Over twenty years later, we proudly serve over 850 professional firms and organizations spanning eighteen states in the United States, in addition to the Canadian Provinces of British Columbia and Saskatchewan. My latest passion involves further expanding the footprint of Advantage Technology’s premier IT solutions across North America, while simultaneously providing a safe, fun, and exciting workplace for my friends and colleagues. I am resolute in my commitment to challenge conventional thinking within our competitive landscape and remain poised to deliver unparalleled IT solutions to our valued clientele.
- Spearheaded strategic and bold expansion into untapped markets, leveraging acquisitions and establishing area dominance with innovative marketing and messaging strategies.
- Since our establishment, consistently drove year-over-year growth by expanding and diversifying our service offerings to enhance our current market share.
- Sustained an annual Average Growth Rate (AGR) of 15% or more for a remarkable 10 consecutive years.
- Successfully facilitated in achieving SOC2 Certification.
- Navigated Advantage’s first federal GSA Schedule 70 Contract.
- In 2019, Advantage earned recognition on Inc. 5000's prestigious list of "Fastest Growing Companies in America."
- Sustaining ongoing commitment to local communities through annual donations totaling $100,000.
- Established West Virginia's largest full-service IT company, creating and offering hundreds of high-paying IT jobs, significantly contributing to the growth of the state's economy.
- MCSE, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, 2001
- Comptia A+, Certified Service Professional, 2001
- CCNA, Cisco Certified Network Associate, 2007
- CSSA, Certified Sonicwall Security Administrator, 2008
- CSSA, Certified Sonicwall Security Administrator, 2010 (Aventail)
- CVE 4.1, Certified Virtualization Expert, 2011
- VCP5, VMware Certified Professional, 2012
- VCP5.5, VMware Certified Professional, 2015
- VCP6.5, VMware Certified Professional, 2017
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Bachelor's Degree, Regents' Bachelor of Arts, 1993 - 1997